Join Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District and the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (SCVAS) for a FREE day of adventure, science, birding, hiking, and discovery! Play all day or just stay awhile! Learn about local birds, insects, and bats.
Schedule of Activities
10:00 am – 3:00 pm Exhibitors and General Activities OPEN
11:00 am – 2:30 pm SAJJ Mediterranean and Kona Ice (onsite food vendors available)
GUIDED WALKS (durations approximate)—Walks require advance sign-up at event
- Dragonfly/Damselfly/Butterfly Walks (60 minutes) Search for things with colorful wings!
10:00 am; 2:30 pm
- Bird Walks (60 minutes) Discover the amazing world of birds!
10:30 am; 12:00 pm
- Geocaching Walks (90 minutes) Learn to geocache and fi nd bird-themed treasures!
11:00 am; 1:30 pm
- iNaturalist Walk (60 minutes) Become a citizen scientist – learn to share nature observations!
(*Download iNaturalist app to smartphone from home; cell service is very limited at the event site)
- Insect Walks (60 minutes) Fascinating forms and functions abound!
11:30 am; 2:00 pm
LIVE ANIMAL PRESENTATIONS
- Native Bird Connections
11:00 am; 1:00 pm
- Bird House Building
- Owl pellet dissections
- Aquatic insect discovery station
- Insect, bat, and bird hands-on science
- “Bird Banding” bracelets
- Crafts: bat gliders; dragonfly clips; bird masks; binoculars
- California Center for Naturalist History
- California Native Plant Society
- Insect Sciences Museum of California
- Mickaboo (domesticated companion bird rescue and adoption)
- Native Bird Connection
- NorCal Bats
- Palomacy (pigeon and dove rescue and placement)
- San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory
- SaveNature.org - insect discovery lab
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley
- Wildlife Education & Rehabilitation Center
Parking is free
Heavy rain cancels the event
Sorry – No dogs allowed
Wingding is located in the preserve equestrian parking lot on Skyline Boulevard located one mile south of the Skyline Blvd. (Highway 35) and Page Mill/Alpine Road intersection. After entering the Preserve, please follow posted signs and/or onsite attendant. Those traveling from I-280 on Page Mill Rd. should allow approximately 45 minutes travel time.
Get driving directions to Wingding: