Fire is a fact of life in California and everyone plays a role in living safely with it. More than 95% of wildland fires in California are caused accidentally by human activities, according to Cal Fire.
Neighbor Defensible Space Permits
For those who choose to live in the wildland-urban interface, creating defensible space around your home is one of the most important things you can do to protect your property. Midpen provides free permits to our neighbors who want to do work on Midpen land to achieve appropriate defensible space around their home and structures. Learn more and apply.
Your Role in Preventing and Preparing for Fire
- Harden your home against fire, create defensible space around it and have an evacuation plan
- Sign up for county emergency alerts.
- Recreate safely to prevent fires by following public safety rules including smoking, campfire and firearm bans.
- Recreating safely so emergency resources are available to respond to fires: stay cool and bring plenty of water, or consider other plans.
- Stay aware of red flag warning weather when fire danger is highest and refraining from activities that could spark fires.