Special Meeting at 5 p.m., Regular Meeting at 7 p.m.
REVISED A G E N D A
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Fundraising Options for the Bear Creek Stables Project (R-19-131)
Staff Contact: Melanie Askay, Grants Program Manager and Gretchen Laustsen, Planner III
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Based on an evaluation of private fundraising options, including the lack of an existing donor base, need for training and significant up front costs and effort, lack of on-staff development expertise, high level of uncertainty regarding success, and potential negative implications to the agency if donor expectations are unmet, the General Manager recommends refraining from pursuing a public-private fundraising endeavor for the Bear Creek Stables Project. However, an opportunity remains for a private group, like the Friends of Bear Creek Stables, to fundraise for operational, programming, and small-scale improvements in partnership with the operator.
2. If item (1) is approved, direct the General Manager to exclusively focus on implementing the Board-approved Deferred Maintenance Repairs Option and scope of work, no longer attempting to preserve the large-scale public access improvements as part of the redesign and subsequent construction work, with the understanding that the Board of Directors retains the ability to implement the large-scale public access improvements at a future date.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
The Board President will invite public comment on items not on the agenda. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. If you wish to address the Board, please complete a speaker card and give it to the District Clerk. Individuals are limited to one appearance during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve September 25, 2019 Minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Approval of Settlement Terms and Authorization to Execute a Corrected Easement in Exchange for Dismissal of Scranton v. Prokofyeva and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, Santa Clara County Superior Court Case No. 19CV345161, a Quiet Title Action related to Access on a Private Access Road, in Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (Santa Clara County Assessor’s Parcel Number 532-25-051) (R-19-132)
Staff Contact: Allen Ishibashi, Senior Real Property Agent and Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as set out in the staff report.
2. Approve the settlement terms outlined in the report, and adopt a Resolution authorizing the execution of a corrected and amended easement to acknowledge an existing easement on a private access road that crosses Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve.
The President will invite public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes. Alternately, you may comment to the Board by a written communication, which the Board appreciates.
4. Administrative Office Project – Design Development Approval (R-19-130)
Staff Contact: Susanna Chan, Assistant General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the design development plans to reconfigure and repurpose the recently purchased office building located at 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, California, allowing the project to proceed into construction documents and permitting.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: Santa Clara County APN: 170-04-051
Agency Negotiator: Allen Ishibashi, Senior Real Property Agent
Negotiating Party: Kirk Trammell, Marcus & Millichap and Joel Yungen, Colliers International
Under Negotiation: Price and terms of payment