5:30PM - Special Meeting
7:00PM - Regular Meeting
A G E N D A
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Board meetings are held in person at the District’s Administrative Office, and by teleconference pursuant to Government Code Section 54953. Members of the public can attend and participate in the meeting using the following methods:
1. In-person at the Midpen Administrative Office – 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA 94022.
2. Viewing the meeting in real-time at https://openspace.zoom.us/j/88538861569 or listening to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 885 3886 1569).
Members of the public may submit written comments to be provided to the Board, or register to make oral comments, as follows:
• Written comments may be submitted via the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment.
• Requests to provide oral comment must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by:
o Submitting a request through the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment for those attending via Zoom.
o Submitting a request via the paper-based public comment form at the meeting for those attending in-person.
• Any comments received after the deadline will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:30 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Annual Bond Disclosure Training for the Board of Directors, Members of the Disclosure Working Group, and Contributors (R-24-01)
Staff Contact: Rafaela Oceguera, Budget and Finance Manager, Budget and Finance Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive the annual training on Bond Disclosure obligations, responsibilities, and potential liabilities. No Board action required.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the November 14, 2023 meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Annual Findings on the number of Compensated Board Meetings and amount of Per-Meeting Compensation (R-24-02)
Staff Contact: Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a Resolution making annual findings that more than five Board meetings per month are necessary for the effective operation of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.
4. Award of Contract to Buena Vista Services, LLC., for the La Honda Forest Health Project (R-24-03)
Staff Contact: Arianna Camponuri, Forest Ecologist I, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Buena Vista Services, LLC., of Alameda, California for $80,000.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $12,000 to be expended only if necessary to cover unanticipated conditions or needs, for a total not-to-exceed contract amount of $92,000.
5. Award of Contract to Blankinship & Associates for Technical Literature Review Services (R-24-04)
Staff Contact: Coty Sifuentes-Winter, Senior Resource Management Specialist, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendations: Award a contract to Blankinship & Associates of Davis, California, for a not-to-exceed base contract amount of $75,000 over four years to provide scientific and technical literature review services to inform updates to the Integrated Pest Management Program.
6. Request for New Positions per the Recommendations of the Financial and Operational Sustainability Model (FOSM) Refresh (R-24-05)
Staff Contact: Stefan Jaskulak, Chief Financial Officer/Director of Administrative Services, Office of the General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendations: Approve 14 new positions to begin implementing the recommendations of the Financial and Operational Sustainability Model (FOSM) Refresh to address operational challenges and capacity gaps for meeting program and project delivery commitments, expand the workflow of capital projects, and ensure capacity keeps pace with the growth in land acreage preserved, new miles of trail added, and overall increase in public visitation of the open space preserves.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
7. Election of the Calendar Year 2024 Officers for the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Board of Directors (R-24-06)
Staff Contacts: Maria Soria, District Clerk/Assistant to the General Manager, Office of the General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Elect Officers of the Board of Directors for Calendar Year 2024.
8. Award of Contract with Ascent Environmental to provide Planning and Environmental Review (CEQA) Services for the Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve Comprehensive Use and Management Plan (R-24-07)
Staff Contacts: Gretchen Laustsen, Senior Planner, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Ascent Environmental to provide services to support the Purisima Comprehensive Use and Management Plan for a base amount not to exceed $142,175.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $21,326 to be awarded if necessary, to cover unforeseen conditions, for a total contract amount not-to-exceed $163,501.
3. Authorize a separate contract allowance of $20,000 for additional technical studies, if needed, bringing the not-to-exceed contract amount to $183,501.
• Highway 35 Parking Area Expansion Project Delivery Streamlining
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, California 94022.