Special Meeting begins at 5 p.m.
Regular Meeting begins at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/86717887791 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 81978403665).
2. Members of the public may provide written comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
Electronic comments on agenda may only be submitted via the public comment form. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Options for the Analysis of Class 1 and 2 Electric Bicycle Use on Paved Trails and Class 1 Electric Bicycle Use on Unpaved Trails (R-21-13)
Staff Contact: Matt Anderson, Chief Ranger and Manager for Visitor Services Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Choose and/or amend one of three options on how the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District shall proceed with analyzing electric bicycle (e-bike) use on paved and unpaved trails:
1. Proceed with the current plan to complete a one-year Paved Pilot Program for paved trails at Ravenswood Open Space Preserve and Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve and County Park, and to develop a one-year Unpaved Pilot Program for class 1 e-bikes for future Board of Directors consideration in early 2022.
2. Reduce the scale of the Paved Pilot Program to release staff capacity for expediting a one-year Unpaved Pilot Program on District lands (expedites by six or more months).
3. Reduce the scale of the Paved Pilot Program to release staff capacity for partnering with a local agency to conduct intercept surveys and complete observation reports on trails that are a good proxy for District trails where e-bikes are already permitted. Present findings for Board consideration on next steps for e-bike use on District lands (depending on results, may expedite by close to one year).
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDER OF THE DAY
• Introduction of Staff
o Tyler Smith, Planner II
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Claims Report
2. Appointment of Board of Directors Standing Committee Members and Representatives to Various Bodies, Including the Governing Board of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Financing Authority, for Calendar Year 2021 (R-20-14)
Staff Contact: Curt Riffle, Board President
Board President’s Recommendation: Approve the Board President’s appointments to the Board Standing Committees and other bodies, including the Governing Board of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Financing Authority, and determine the compensable status for attendance at these meetings.
3. Annual Dedication Report of Certain Lands of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (R-21-17)
Staff Contact: Michael Williams, Real Property Department Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Accept the annual report on the status of dedicated interests in lands of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District held for public open space purposes.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. The names of all commenters will be read into the record.
4 . Proposed Purchase of the Billingsley Ranch Property, located at 34000 Loma Prieta Road, Los Gatos, in unincorporated Santa Clara County (Assessor’s Parcel Number 562-20-001), as an addition to Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (R-21-15)
Staff Contact: Jasmine Leong, Real Property Agent I, Real Property Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as set out in the staff report.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the purchase of the Billingsley Ranch Property for $1,650,000 with a corresponding authorization for a Fiscal Year 2020-21 budget adjustment of the same amount.
3. Authorize the General Manager to initiate plans for demolition of the structures and to bring a demolition contract award to the Board as a future item.
4. Adopt a Preliminary Use and Management Plan for the Property, as set out in the staff report.
5. Withhold dedication of the Billingsley Ranch Property as public open space at this time.
5. Reject all bids for the Cultural Landscape Rehabilitation Project at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-21-19)
Staff Contact: Scott Reeves, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Reject all bids received for the Alma Cultural Landscape Rehabilitation Project at Bear Creek Redwood Open Space Preserve.
2. Authorize the General Manager to publicly re-solicit bids.
6. Project Brief for the Administrative Office Interpretive Elements Project ( R2118)
Staff Contact: Leigh Ann Gessner, Public Affairs Specialist II
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the proposed project brief with any additional Board-directed revisions to guide the planning and design of public-facing interpretive elements for the future Administrative Office located at 5050 El Camino Real in Los Altos.
• Summary of Visitor Counter Data and the COVID Pandemic
• Review of Use of Contingency Funds – FY20
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS - Reports on compens able meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
* Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in
this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to
the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and
are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for
public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.