Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/82844205758 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 82844205758).
2. Members of the public may provide written comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- Electronic comments on agenda may only be submitted via the public comment form. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Natural Resources Restoration Priorities (R-21-26)
Staff Contact: Julie Andersen, Senior Resources Management Specialist, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive and discuss information about Natural Resources
Restoration Priorities. No Board action is required.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the February 10, 2021 Board meeting minutes.
2. Claims Report
3. Resolution to accept grant funding from the Wildlife Conservation Board for the acquisition of the Peninsula Open Space Trust (formerly San Jose Water Company) Property/Keyhole in El Sereno Open Space Preserve (R-21-28)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager, Administrative Services
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution authorizing the General Manager to negotiate and execute a grant funding agreement with the Wildlife Conservation Board to support the acquisition of the Peninsula Open Space Trust (formerly San Jose Water Company) Property/Keyhole as an addition to El Sereno Open Space Preserve.
4. Minor Amendments to the Grantmaking Program Agreement with The Regents of the University of California on behalf of its Santa Cruz Campus, a Grant Program Awardee from the Fiscal Year 2018-19 Funding Round who is Researching the Pollen Limitation of Key Native Forb Species and the Impact of Pollination Competition from Non-native, Invasive French Broom (R-21-27)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager and Jordan McDaniel, Sr. Grants & Procurement Technician
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize a one-year extension and an increase of $1,836 to the current grant funding agreement with The Regents of the University of California on behalf of its Santa Cruz Campus to provide additional time and funding for project completion to address COVID-19 impacts, bringing the agreement to a new, not-to-exceed total of $51,211 and extending the grant deadline date by one year to December 12, 2023.
5. Amendment to the Purchase and Sale Agreement for the Acquisition of the Tabachnik Trust Property and Amendment to the Preliminary Use and Management Plan as an addition to Tunitas Creek Open Space Preserve in unincorporated San Mateo County (Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 066-300-010 (portion) and 066-300-020) (R-21-29)
Staff Contact: Allen Ishibashi, Sr. Real Property Agent
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing an amendment of the purchase and sale agreement for the Tabachnik Trust Property.
2. Amend the Preliminary Use and Management Plan for the Tabachnik Trust Property to clarify retention of the agricultural potential of the property.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. The names of all commenters will be read into the record.
6. Beatty House Removal and Site Restoration Project: CEQA Scoping Meeting (R-21-30)
Staff Contact: Alex Casbara, Planner III, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive public comment on the scope and content of the Environmental Impact Report to be prepared per the California Environmental Quality Act.
7. Preliminary Science Advisory Panel Findings on the Topics of Recreation and Monitoring, and a Contract Amendment to complete the Second Round of Scientific Review (R-21-31)
Staff Contact: Sophie Christel, Management Analyst I, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Receive a presentation on preliminary findings and work of the Science Advisory Panel related to the topics of Monitoring and Recreation.
2. Authorize the General Manager to execute a contract amendment with the San Francisco Estuary Institute to increase the contract amount by $19,000, for an amended total contract amount of $219,000, to address unforeseen costs due to COVID impacts and the need for additional coordination.
8. Oral Update on Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District 50th Anniversary
Staff Contact: Kori Skinner, Public Affairs Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: No Board action required.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – PENDING LITIGATION
Initiation of litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(4): 1 case
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in
this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to
the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and
are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for
public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.