Special meeting starts at 5:30 p.m.
Regular meeting starts at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/83928155258 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 83928155258).2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
- Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:30 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Review Beatty House Alternatives and Confirm Board Direction (R-21-40)
Staff Contact: Paul Kvam, Capital Project Manager III, Engineering & Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Review alternatives and associated costs for the Sierra Azul
Beatty House and confirm previous Board direction to proceed with an Environmental Impact
Report and other next steps for the potential removal of the structure and natural resource restoration
of the site.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDER OF THE DAY
• Presentation from Dr. Rick Lanman Re: Returning Elk to the Western San Francisco Bay Region
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the March 4, 2021 and March 10, 2021 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Consideration of a Letter of Support for the Vida Verde Education Center Barn Project in San Mateo County (R-21-41)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the Board President to sign a letter on behalf of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Board of Directors in support of the Vida Verde (Vida Verde) Education Center Barn Project located in San Gregorio on the San Mateo County Coast for submittal to the San Mateo County Planning Commission.
4. Approval of Response to San Mateo County Civil Grand Jury Report Regarding Ransomware (R-21-42)
Staff Contact: Casey Hiatt, IST Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the President of the Board of Directors to sign the proposed response to the San Mateo County Civil Grand Jury Report, “Ransomware: It Is Not Enough To Think You Are Protected.”
5. Consideration of an agreement for the exchange of easement interests in dedicated real property between the Glass-Dooley Family (San Mateo County APN 078-260-030) and the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (San Mateo County APN(s) 078-260-020, -070 & 078-280-110) at La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve (R-21-43)
Staff Contact: Allen Ishibashi, Sr. Real Property Agent
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) as set out in the staff report.
2. By a unanimous vote of the Board of Directors, adopt a resolution authorizing the agreement to exchange interests in dedicated real property at no cost between the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (receiving access and waterline easement) and Glass-Dooley Family (receiving access and waterline easement).
3. Identify the La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve Master Plan as the use and management plan for the lands received in the exchanged interests in real property.
4. Withhold dedication of the received property interest as public open space at this time.
6. Award of Contract for Special Inspection Services for the Administrative Office Project (R-21-45)
Staff Contact: Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering & Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Signet Testing Labs, Inc., of Hayward, California for a not-to-exceed base contract amount of $102,845 to complete special inspection work scheduled between March 2021 and Spring 2022 for the Administrative Office Project.
2. Authorize a 10% contract contingency of $10,285 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, thus
allowing the total contract amount to not-to-exceed $113,130.
7. Minor Contract Amendment with Signet Testing Labs, Inc., for additional special inspection services for the South Area Field Office Project (R-21-44)
Staff Contact: Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manger to execute a contract amendment in an amount of $3,000 with Signet Testing Labs, Inc., to cover the costs for additional special inspection services beyond the base contract scope of work that have been necessary to complete the South Area Field Office Project; the amendment would bring the total
contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $52,265.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. The names of all commenters will be read into the record.
8. Legislative Position Recommendations (R-21-46)
Staff Contact: Joshua Hugg, Governmental Affairs Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the recommended list of legislative positions for the 2021 state legislative session, as forwarded by the Legislative, Funding, and Public Affairs Committee.
9. Award of Contract to George Bianchi Construction, Inc., for the Mount Umunhum Radar
Tower Repair Project (R-21-47)
Staff Contact: Zachary Alexander, Capital Project Manager III, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with George Bianchi Construction, Inc., of San Jose, CA, for the base amount of $1,986,540.
2. Authorize a 12% contingency of $238,385 to be reserved for unanticipated issues.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board
questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54957.6)
Agency designated representatives: Ana Ruiz, General Manager, Brian Malone, Assistant
General Manager, Jack Hughes, Liebert Cassidy Whitmore
Employee organization: Field Employees Association
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.