4:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54957.6) Agency designated representatives: Ana Ruiz, General Manager, Brian Malone, Assistant General Manager, Jack Hughes, Liebert Cassidy Whitmore Employee organization: Midpeninsula Rangers Peace Officers Association
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT ROLL CALL 1. Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area and Shoreline Resilience Planning (R-21-147)
Staff Contact: Karine Tokatlian, Resource Management Specialist II, Natural Resource Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: 1. Consider four long-term management alternatives for the Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area to contribute to San Francisco Bay restoration initiatives. 2. Approve a phased approach that initially makes habitat improvements for snowy plovers and defers the decision on restoring to a tidal marsh until regional restoration efforts and needs are more developed to inform management priorities for the Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area in the context of larger San Francisco Bay restoration efforts.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Introduction of staff O Field Resource Specialist Christian Bonner
• Proclamation Honoring Meredith Manning on her Retirement
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the October 27, 2021 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Teleconferenced Board Meetings Pursuant to the Brown Act and Assembly Bill 361 (R-21- 148)
Staff Contact: Ana Ruiz, General Manager and Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution affirming findings on the continued need for remote teleconferenced public meetings pursuant to AB 361.
4. Quarter 1 Proposed Budget Amendments to the Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2022 (R-21- 151)
Staff Contact: Rafaela Duran, Budget & Analysis Manager General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution approving the proposed Quarter 1 budget amendments for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2022.
5. Resolution for Grant Funding from the California Department of Parks and Recreation Proposition 68 Recreational Infrastructure Revenue Enhancement Grant Program (R-21- 152)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager, Administrative Services General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution authorizing the General Manager to apply for Proposition 68 Recreational Infrastructure Revenue Enhancement Program grant funding from the California Department of Parks and Recreation and to enter into a grant funding agreement for $1,428,282 in funding for the proposed Cloverdale Ranch Land Conservation Project.
6. Application for Grant Funding from the Wildlife Conservation Board (R-21-154)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager, Administrative Services General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution authorizing the General Manager to apply for grant funding from the Wildlife Conservation Board and negotiate a grant funding agreement of up to $295,000 for the Santa Cruz Kangaroo Rat Habitat and Population Management Plan Project.
7. Contract Amendment with Signet Testing Labs, Inc., for Special Inspection Services for the Administrative Office Project (R-21-150)
Staff Contact: Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction Department General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manger to execute a contract amendment in the amount of $22,553 with Signet Testing Labs, Inc., for special inspection services beyond the base contract scope of work that are necessary to complete the Administrative Office Project.
2. Authorize a 10% contingency of $2,255 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $137,938.
8. Contract Amendment with BHM Construction, Inc., to fabricate and install interior Public Interpretive Elements at the Administrative Office located at 5050 El Camino Real in Los Altos and augment the Project Contingency Funds to bring the overall Administrative Office Project to completion and reach the March 2022 scheduled closeout date (R-21-153)
Staff Contact: Leigh Ann Gessner, Public Affairs Specialist and Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. With designs for the public-facing interpretive elements for the Administrative Office project now final, approve the addition of a subcontractor to the contract with BHM Construction, Inc., to complete the fabrication and installation of two interior elements.
2. Authorize the General Manager to amend the original contract of $21,982,643 with BHM Construction, Inc., by $306,253 to fabricate and install two interior public-facing interpretive elements, bringing the total contract amount to $22,288,896.
3. Authorize an additional $160,000 in project contingency funds to cover unanticipated conditions through project closeout, for a new, not-to-exceed total contract amount of $22,448,896.
9. New Phone System: Microsoft Teams Calling (R-21-155)
Staff Contact: Owen Sterzl, IT Program Administrator, Information Systems and Technology Department General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with CDW Government LLC at a onetime cost of $57,780 for professional implementation services of Microsoft Teams Calling with a 5% contingency of $2,889 to address unanticipated technical issues, for a total amount of $60,669.
2. Authorize the General Manager to amend the original three-year enterprise agreement of $211,000 with Microsoft Corporation, by $19,200, for a new total amount not-to-exceed $230,200, to purchase Microsoft Teams Calling through May 2022.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. The names of all commenters will be read into the record.
10. Proposed purchase of the Peninsula Open Space Trust - Johnston Ranch Uplands Property, located along Higgins Canyon Road, in unincorporated San Mateo County (Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 064-370-110, 064-370-120, the north and east portion of 064-370-200, and the east portion of 065-210-220 and 065-210-240), as an addition to Miramontes Ridge Open Space Preserve (R-21-132)
Staff Contact: Michael Williams, Real Property Manager General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as set out in the staff report.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the purchase of the Peninsula Open Space Trust - Johnston Ranch Uplands Property for $4,800,000 with a corresponding authorization for a Fiscal Year 2021-22 budget increase in the same amount, and an additional adjustment of $60,750 for miscellaneous costs related to this transaction, for a total budget adjustment of $4,860,750.
3. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the filing of a notice of Williamson Act nonrenewal with the County of San Mateo for Assessor’s Parcel Number 064-370-110.
4. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a Lease and Management Agreement with Peninsula Open Space Trust to manage the Property, including any extensions thereof, and the Assignment of Grazing Lease with Pacheco Ranch for a 5-year term with the option to extend for one additional 5-year term.
5. Adopt a Preliminary Use and Management Plan, as set out in the staff report.
6. Withhold dedication of the property as public open space at this time.
• Update on the Electric Bicycle (e-bike) Noise Study
• Existing Natural Resources Conditions Report, Cloverdale Ranch
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.