Special Meeting at 5 p.m.; Regular Meeting at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Government Code section 54953(e) and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Resolution 21-33, and in light of the declared state of emergency, the meeting will not be physically open to the public and all members will be teleconferencing into the meeting via a virtual platform. To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can listen to the meeting and participate using the following methods.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/89842913943 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (898 4291 3943).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614 at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
1. Proposed New Mitigation Policy (R-22-41)
Staff Contact: Julie Andersen, Senior Resource Management Specialist, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a new Mitigation Policy and associated revisions to the Resource Management Policies to guide future decisions on outside agency mitigation requests and inform mitigation efforts for internal projects.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Introduction of staff
-Anna Costanza, GIS Technician
-Eleanor Raab, Public Affairs Specialist I
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the March 9, 2022 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Proposed Trail Name for Lower La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve Loop Trail (R-22-39)
Staff Contact: Arianna Nuri, Planner I, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the proposed “Grasshopper Loop Trail” name for the former Sears Ranch Road loop trail located in lower La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve, which was unanimously supported by the Legislative, Funding, and Public Affairs Committee.
4. Award of Contract for the Hawthorns Historic Complex Structural Assessment (R-22-40)
Staff Contact: Ivana Yeung, Capital Project Manager II, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter contract with Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., of Emeryville, California, for a base amount of $88,060.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $13,209 to be expended only if necessary to cover unforeseen conditions, for a total contract amount not-to-exceed $101,269.
5. Contract Amendments for Grassroots Ecology to provide two years of annual vegetation monitoring and reporting and Jana Sokale Environmental Consulting to provide two years of adaptive management recommendations and annual regulatory agency reporting, both in support of the Hendrys Creek Restoration Project at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. (R-22-42)
Staff Contact: Amanda Mills, Resource Specialist II, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to execute a contract amendment with Grassroots Ecology for two additional years of annual vegetation monitoring and reporting for the Hendrys Creek Restoration Project at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve in the amount of $23,340, for a total amended contract not-to-exceed $335,340.
2. Authorize the General Manager to execute a contract amendment with Jana Sokale Environmental Consulting for two additional years of adaptive management recommendations and annual regulatory agency reporting for the Hendrys Creek Restoration Project at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve in the amount of $17,280, for a total amended contract not-to-exceed $67,255.
6. Teleconferenced Board Meetings Pursuant to the Brown Act and Assembly Bill 361 (R-22-43)
Staff Contact: Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution affirming findings on the continued need for remote teleconferenced public meetings pursuant to AB 361.
BOARD BUSINESS/PUBLIC HEARING
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
7. Public Hearing and Adoption of the New Redistricting Ward Boundary Map (R-22-44)
Staff Contact: Jamie Hawk, GIS Program Administrator, Information Systems & Technology
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Hold a public hearing to obtain public comment regarding consideration of the preferred redistricting scenario map.
2. Adopt a resolution establishing the boundaries of Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District wards that align with the preferred redistricting scenario map.
8. Hawthorns Area Plan – Approval of the Vision and Goals (R-22-45)
Staff Contact: Alex Casbara, Planner III, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Review and approve the Vision and Goals for the Hawthorns Area Plan as recommended by the Planning and Natural Resources Committee.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.