Special Meeting at 5 p.m.
Consistent with Government Code section 54953(e) and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Resolution 21-33, and in light of the declared state of emergency, the meeting will not be physically open to the public and all members will be teleconferencing into the meeting via a virtual platform. To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can listen to the meeting and participate using the following methods.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/82351532203 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 823 5153 2203).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614 at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
1.Electric Bicycle (E-Bike) Policy Evaluation (R-22-78)
Staff Contact: Brad Pennington, Area Superintendent, Foothills
General Manager’s Recommendation: Review the findings of various studies and surveys regarding electric bicycle use (e-bikes) on paved and unpaved trails in open space lands and consider the following recommendations:
1. Approve Class 1 and Class 2 e-bike access on limited improved trails at Ravenswood Open Space Preserve.
2. Approve Class 1 and Class 2 e-bike access on limited improved trails at Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve.
3. Approve one of the following:
- a. Direct the General Manager to prepare for the implementation of Class 1 e-bike access on all District trails where bicycles are allowed.
- i. Staff would return at a later date with appropriate environmental review for Board consideration and adoption of this option.
- b. Affirm the prohibition of e-bikes on District trails except for specifically designated trails in recommendations 1 and 2 above.
- c. Direct the General Manager to implement an Unpaved E-Bike Pilot Program on select District Preserves to evaluate the effects on District lands.
- i. Staff would return at a later date with a recommended process and plan for carrying out an Unpaved E-Bike Pilot Program on District lands.
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.