Special meeting starts at 5:00 PM; Regular meeting starts at 7:00 PM*
Consistent with Government Code section 54953(e) and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Resolution 21-33, and in light of the declared state of emergency, the meeting will not be physically open to the public and all members will be teleconferencing into the meeting via a virtual platform. To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can listen to the meeting and participate using the following methods.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/82270365821 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 822 7036 5821).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1)
Title of Employee: Controller
Regular MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
· Introduction of staff
o Alvaro Andaluz, Open Space Technician
o Marie Lanka, Administrative Assistant
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
Approve the July 13, 2022 Board meeting minutes
Teleconferenced Board Meetings Pursuant to the Brown Act and Assembly Bill 361 (R-22-88)
Staff Contact: Ana Ruiz, General Manager and Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution affirming findings on the continued need for remote teleconferenced public meetings pursuant to AB 361.
Federal Legislative Positions for Consideration by the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (R-22-92)
Staff Contact: Joshua Hugg, Governmental Affairs Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the recommended list of federal legislative positions for the 2021-22 federal legislative session as unanimously supported by the Legislative, Funding, and Public Affairs Committee.
Two-year extensions and/or two-year leases of four conservation grazing units in properties located in Purisima Creek Redwoods and La Honda Creek Open Space Preserves (R-22-93)
Staff Contact: Susan Weidemann, Property Management Specialist II, Property Management, Land & Facilities Services Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to extend the current conservation grazing lease for two years, with an option for a one-year extension, with the current tenant, Tom Pacheco, for the Bluebrush Ranch in Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to extend the current conservation grazing lease for two years, with an option for a one-year extension, with the current tenants, Doniga and Erik Markegard, for the Lone Madrone Ranch in La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve.
3. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to enter into a new two-year conservation grazing lease with an option for a one-year extension with current tenant, Vince Fontana, for the Lobitos Ridge Elkus Uplands and South Cowell conservation grazing areas located in Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve and combine these two properties into a single lease.
4. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to extend the current conservation grazing lease for two years, with an option for a one-year extension, with the current tenant, AGCO Hay, LLC, for the Driscoll Ranch in La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve.
Contract Amendment for Purisima-to-the-Sea Trail and Parking Area Feasibility Study at Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-22-94)
Staff Contact: Gretchen Laustsen, Senior Planner, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to amend a contract with SWCA Environmental Consultants of Half Moon Bay, California in the amount of $41,537 to conduct additional technical studies and support additional public engagement, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $328,537.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $6,231 to cover unforeseen tasks beyond the current scope for a total not-to-exceed contract amount of $334,768.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
Approval of Terms of Employment, including Salary and Health Benefit Enhancements, for the Midpeninsula Rangers Peace Officers Association (R-22-96)
Staff Contact: Candice Basnight, Human Resources Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution approving the Terms of Employment, including Salary and Health Benefit Enhancements, for the Midpeninsula Rangers Peace Officers Association for a term ending June 30, 2023
Informational Presentation on Social Media Program (R-22-95)
Staff Contact: Eleanor Raab, Public Affairs Specialist I, Public Affairs
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive a staff report on the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District’s social media program. No Board action required.
· Stevens Creek Trail Overview
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.