5:00 pm Closed Session
7:00 pm Regular Meeting*
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Board meetings are held in person at the District’s Administrative Office, and by teleconference pursuant to Government Code Section 54953.
Members of the public can attend and participate in the meeting using the following methods:
1. In-person at the Midpen Administrative Office – 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA 94022.
2. Viewing the meeting in real-time at https://openspace.zoom.us/j/87092711104 or listening to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 870 9271 1104).
Members of the public may submit written comments to be provided to the Board, or register to make oral comments, as follows:
• Written comments may be submitted via the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment.
• Requests to provide oral comment must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by:
o Submitting a request through the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment for those attending via Zoom.
o Submitting a request via the paper-based public comment form at the meeting for those attending in-person.
• Any comments received after the deadline will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54957.6)
Agency designated representatives: Ana Ruiz, General Manager, Brian Malone, Assistant General Manager, Jack Hughes, Liebert Cassidy Whitmore
Employee organization: Midpeninsula Rangers Peace Officers Association
2. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: San Mateo County APN: 076-330-075
Agency Negotiator: Allen Ishibashi, Sr. Real Property Agent
Negotiating Party: Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST)
Under Negotiation: Purchase Terms
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
ANNOUNCE OUT OF CLOSED SESSION
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
Introduction of Staff
- Katie Renz - Interpretive Specialist
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the June 28, 2023 meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Proposed Purchase of the Vielbaum Property located in unincorporated Santa Clara County as an addition to Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (Assessor’s Parcel Number 562-09-021 (portion)) (R-23-94)
Staff Contact: Jasmine Leong, Real Property Agent I, Real Property Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
- Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as set out in this report.
- Adopt a Resolution authorizing the purchase of the Vielbaum Property at a cost of $163,000 with corresponding authorization for a Fiscal Year 2023-24 budget adjustment of the same amount.
- Adopt a Preliminary Use and Management Plan for the Property, as set out in this report.
- Withhold dedication of the Vielbaum Property as public open space at this time.
4. Award of Contract for Construction of the Lower Turtle Pond Spillway Enhancement Project at La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve (R-23-95)
Staff Contact: Zachary Alexander, Capital Project Manager III, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
- Authorize the General Manager to award a contract to Old La Honda General Engineering, of La Honda, California, for a not-to-exceed base contract amount of $128,008.
- Authorize a 15% contingency in the amount of $19,201 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total not-to-exceed contract amount to $147,209.
5. Contract Amendment with Grassroots Ecology for California Native Plant Species Propagation Services (R-23-96)
Staff Contact: Amanda Mills, Resource Management Specialist II, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to execute a contract amendment with Grassroots Ecology of Palo Alto, California, to extend the term of the agreement for one additional year and increase the compensation by $145,000 to address a substantial increase in native plant nursery orders for restoration and capital improvement projects, for a total amended not-to-exceed contract amount of $305,000 over five years.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION ROLL CALL PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1) Title of Employee: General Manager ADJOURNMENT
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, California 94022.