Special Meeting starts at 5:00 p.m., Regular Meeting starts at 7:00 p.m.
A G E N D A
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: Santa Clara County Assessor’s Parcel Number 562-08-003
Agency Negotiator: Michael Williams, Real Property Manager
Negotiating Party: Val Lopez, Amah Mutsun Land Trust
Under Negotiation: Conservation Easement
2. CLOSED SESSION: PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. (Government Code Section 54957(b)(1))
Title of Employees: General Manager
6:30 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – STUDY SESSION
Presentation by Robin Grossinger of the San Francisco Estuary Institute, “Resilient Silicon Valley: Applying Landscape Resilience Principles in the Region”
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
The Board President will invite public comment on items not the agenda. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. If you wish to address the Board, please complete a speaker card and give it to the District Clerk. Individuals are limited to one appearance during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Introduction of Staff
o Nathan Greig, GIS Technician
o Tad Hammer, Information Technology Specialist
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the Minutes for the May 25, 2016 and June 8, 2016 Board meetings
2. Approve Claims Report
3. Partnership Agreement with Acterra Stewardship for the Hendrys Creek Stream Channel Restoration Project at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (R-16-80)
Staff Contact: Meredith Manning, Senior Planner, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Enter into a partnership agreement with Acterra Stewardship in the amount of $190,000, which includes a 15% contingency of $25,000, for native plant restoration and grant administration work associated with the grant-funded Hendrys Creek Stream Channel Restoration Project at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve; this agreement is eligible for full reimbursement by a Santa Clara Valley Water District grant.
4. Annual Review of Restricted, Committed, Assigned, and Unassigned Reserves and Reserve Amounts (R-16-79)
Staff Contact: Mike Foster, Controller
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve (1) the elimination of the 2004 Bond Reserve Fund, (2) a $10 million increase in the Infrastructure Fund, and (3) a $1.9 million increase in the minimum required balance in the unassigned General Fund, as recommended by the District Controller.
5. Formation of the Diversity Outreach Ad Hoc Committee (R-16-81)
Staff Contact: Jennifer Woodworth, District Clerk/Assistant to the General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Direct the formation of a new Diversity Outreach Ad Hoc Committee, and authorize the Board President to appoint three Directors to serve on the Diversity Outreach Ad Hoc Committee.
The President will invite public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes. Alternately, you may comment to the Board by a written communication, which the Board appreciates.
6. Fiscal Year 2016-17 Budget & Action Plan (R-16-71)
Staff Contact: Nicole Gonzales, Finance and Budget Analyst II
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Approve the FY2016-17 Action Plan.
2. Adopt a Resolution approving the FY2016-17 Budget.
3. Adopt a Resolution approving the Classification and Compensation Plan.
4. Approve twelve new positions in accordance with recommendations outlined in the Financial and Operational Sustainability Model to establish new and efficient business systems.
7. Authorization to Reduce the District’s Unfunded Pension Liability by Making a $3 Million Pre-Payment to the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) (R-16-78)
Staff Contact: Michael L. Foster, Controller
Controller’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to deposit $3 Million into the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District’s (District) CalPERS account, in order to reduce the District’s unfunded pension liability.
• Status of Activities at the Hawthorn Property
• Mount Umunhum Summit Project Bid Results and Budget Implications
• Proposed Partnership and Conservation Easement with Amah Mutsun Land Trust at Mount Umunhum, Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for factual information; request staff to report back to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.