The District is re-evaluating its memorial bench policy and will not be accepting new bench requests at this time. Thank you for your patience. We will update the website at a future date with the new policy and guidelines.
Midpen receives many memorial bench requests each year. We understand and appreciate that our visitors would like to remember and pay tribute to loved ones by placing a bench with an engraved plaque in their favorite preserve. Although we would like to honor all of these special requests, as an open space district, we strive to keep the open space in as natural a state as possible and minimize the number of manmade structures, including benches. To this end, the District offers a very limited constituent memorial bench program based on select criteria. Please refer below for additional details:
- The District will consider bench requests to honor a deceased member of the public who has made a significant contribution to the District;
- A significant contribution includes conspicuous or noteworthy support for the District through extraordinary contributions of time and effort to the advancement of the goals, philosophy, and mission of the District.
- While a requestor may ask for a specific preserve, a particular site cannot be guaranteed.
- Requests that meet the Board-approved criteria listed above will be forwarded to the District’s Legislative, Funding and Public Affairs Committee for consideration. Requests that receive Committee support will move forward to the District’s Board of Directors for consideration of final approval.
- Approved memorial benches are funded by the requestors who must pay $5,000 up front to fund the lifetime cost of the bench.
- Requests must be made in writing to the Clerk of the Board and should include a letter detailing who the request is for and how that individual made a significant contribution to the District. The request may be hand delivered, mailed, or e-mailed to:
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District
Attention: Clerk of the Board
Re: Memorial Bench Program
330 Distel Circle
Los Altos, CA 94022