THE CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED THROUGH JANUARY 31, 2021 DUE TO PUBLIC HEALTH ORDERS.
The Black Mountain Backpack Camp at Monte Bello Open Space Preserve is the only campsite on Midpen lands. Only one-half hour from the midpeninsula cities below, the camp often serves as the first stopping place for backpackers wishing to hike from the valley to the coast. The camp is a 1.5-mile hike from Page Mill Road and includes a 500-foot uphill climb from the parking lot. Five single campsites are available for one- or two-night stays throughout the year. A permit is required, and the fee is $2 per night per camper payable by an online invoice emailed to you once the application is received and space is confirmed.
Reservations are issued on a first come, first served basis for one- or two-night stays throughout the year.
Check campsite availability calendar BEFORE submitting a permit application below.
Online availability does NOT guarantee a permit. Generally, applications should be submitted at least one week in advance.
- Reservations are currently limited to groups of 6 or less. Only ONE household per group.
- Camping fee is $2 per person, per night payable by an online invoice emailed to you once the application is received and space is confirmed.
- Overnight parking is only allowed in the Monte Bello lot, and is BY PERMIT ONLY.
- There are 5 campsites: four with a capacity of 4 campers and one with a capacity of 6 campers.
- Visitors must arrive at campsite after 2 p.m. and BEFORE SUNSET. The surrounding preserve area is closed a half-hour after sunset. All campers must remain inside the campground until sunrise.
- Visitors must vacate campsite by noon.
- Stay on designated trails. Visitors must camp in designated campsites only.
- Chemical toilets and water for washing are provided. Water is non-potable; campers must bring a water purifier, carry in their own drinking water or boil before using.
- Bicyclists must wear a helmet.
- Common touch areas such as bathrooms and water faucets must be sanitized between each use. You must bring your own sanitizer.
- Campfires, wood burning and charcoal fires are prohibited. Gas powered camp stoves permitted in designated areas only.
- There are no trash cans at the campground, and campers are required to pack out their own trash.
- Dogs are prohibited.
- Radios or loud activities are prohibited.
- Firearms or weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- No one under 18 years old may camp on any District Lands, except when:
a) Accompanied by a parent or guardian; or
b) Part of a group supervised by at least one adult, each responsible for ten or fewer juveniles; or
c) The juvenile is an emancipated minor.