Special meeting - closed session at 5 p.m.; Special meeting - study session at 5:45 p.m.; Regular meeting at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Government Code section 54953(e) and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Resolution 21-33, and in light of the declared state of emergency, the meeting will not be physically open to the public and all members will be teleconferencing into the meeting via a virtual platform. To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can listen to the meeting and participate using the following methods.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/83620231428 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (836 2023 1428).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614 at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: 1000 Verde Road, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019-2534
Agency Negotiator: Michael Williams, Real Property Manager
Negotiating Party: Ben Wright, Director of Land Acquisition, Peninsula Open Space Trust
Under Negotiation: Terms and Conditions
5:45 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – STUDY SESSION
1. Review of the Housing Program and Policies (R-22-26)
Staff Contact: Brian Malone, Assistant General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive a report on the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Housing Program and related Policies. No Board action required.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
- Introduction of staff
- Nisha Ting, Human Resources Management Analyst II
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the February 9, 2022 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Mindego Hill Grazing Lease Amendment Adding 98 Acres of Grazing Land and Extending the Term of the Lease for Five Years (R-22-28)
Staff Contact: Susan Weidemann, Property Management Specialist II, Land & Facilities, Property Management
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to execute a second amendment to the Mindego Hill grazing lease to add 98 acres of grazing land and exercise the option to extend the lease with Bar DX Livestock for five years.
4. Formation of a Lehigh Quarry Review Ad Hoc Committee (R-22-27)
Staff Contact: Aaron Hébert, Senior Resource Management Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the formation of a Lehigh Quarry Review Ad Hoc Committee of the Board and authorize the Board President to work with the General Manager to determine the best timing for forming the committee pursuant to Board Policy 1.04, Board Committees. Consistent with other recent Ad Hoc Committees of the Board of Directors, these meetings would be compensable. This action would expedite formation of the Ad Hoc Committee once the right timing is identified based on the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors’ referral to County staff on the exploration of the feasibility of the County’s purchase of the quarry and cement plant site.
5. Grant Award to the University of California for Forest Health and Resiliency Services (R-22-25)
Staff Contact: Coty Sifuentes-Winter, Senior Resource Management Specialist, Natural Resources
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to award a $173,000 grant that spans over 5 years to the University of California, Berkeley to coordinate annual Sudden Oak Death Blitz events and provide forest health and resiliency peer-review services.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
6. Disposition of the Quam House and Accessory Structures (R-22-24)
Staff Contact: Omar Smith III, Senior Property Management Specialist, Land and Facilities
General Manager’s Recommendation: Retain the Quam residential structure for rental use and complete driveway repairs and culvert replacements, as specified by Waterways Consulting Inc., and minor structure repairs and cleanup at a total cost of no more than $350,000. However, if refined costs or bids come in above this cost, authorize the General Manager to demolish the Quam residence and accessory structures and perform site remediation for an estimated cost of $400,000.
7. Disposition of the Smith House and Smith Barn (R-22-23)
Staff Contact: Ivana Yeung, Capital Projects Manager II, Engineering and Construction
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the demolition of the Smith House and Barn at a cost of approximately $250,000 and the associated Comprehensive Use and Management Plan Amendment that reflects this decision due to the deteriorated condition of the buildings and other factors as detailed in the staff report.
- Review Use of Contingency Funds – FY21
- Rancho San Antonio Multimodal Access Implementation Update
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.