Regular meeting starts at 7:00 PM
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Committee meetings are held in person at the District’s Administrative Office, and by teleconference pursuant to Government Code Section 54953. Members of the public can attend and participate in the meeting using the following methods:
1. In-person at the Midpen Administrative Office – 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA 94022.
2. Viewing the meeting in real-time at https://openspace.zoom.us/j/81018323121 or listening to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 810 1832 3121).
Members of the public may submit written comments to be provided to the Committee, or register to make oral comments as follows:
• Written comments may be submitted via the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/publiccomment.
• Requests to provide oral comment must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by:
o Submitting a request through the public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/publiccomment for those attending via Zoom.
o Submitting a request via the paper-based public comment form at the meeting for those attending in-person.
• Any comments received after the deadline will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
Announce Out of April 5, 2023 Closed Session
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the February 8, 2023 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Award of Contract to Square Signs, of Burbank, California, to complete the Administrative Office Interpretive Exhibit Wall Fabrication at 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos CA (R-23-39)
Staff Contact: Paul Kvam, Senior Capital Projects Manager, Engineering and Construction General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Square Signs for a not-to-exceed base contract amount of $94,353.
2. Authorize a contingency of 15% in the amount of $14,153 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total not-to-exceed contract amount of $108,506.
4. Report from the Bond Oversight Committee to the Board of Directors for the review period from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
District Contact: Brian Cilker, Measure AA Bond Oversight Committee Chair, and Andrew Taylor, Finance Manager Bond Oversight Committee’s Recommendation:
The Bond Oversight Committee recommends that the Board of Directors accepts this report.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
5. Proposed Purchase of a Remaining 33% Undivided Interest in the 611.7acre South Cowell Property from Peninsula Open Space Trust, which is located at 1000 Verde Road, Half Moon Bay, in unincorporated San Mateo County (Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 066-280-010, 066-280-020, 066-280-051 and 066-280-052), as an addition to Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-23-40)
Staff Contact: Allen Ishibashi, Senior Real Property Agent, Real Property Department General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), as set out in the staff report.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the purchase of an undivided 33% interest in the South Cowell Property for $1,251,000.
3. Approve, execute, and accept a Public Trail Easement from the tenants in common owners.
4. Amend the South Cowell Preliminary Use and Management Plan to reflect the purchase of the Property.
5. Withhold dedication of the property as public open space at this time.
6. Allocate $450,000 of the available interest income on Measure AA Bond Proceeds to Portfolio #03 to include the proposed South Cowell Property purchase as a Measure AA project.
6. Oral Presentation – Engineering & Construction Department Overview
Staff Contact: Jason Lin, Engineering & Construction Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: No Board action required.
7. Oral Presentation – Real Property Department Overview
Staff Contact: Mike Williams, Real Property Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: No Board action required.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, California 94022.