Closed Session begins at 6:00 p.m.; Regular Meeting begins at 7:00 p.m.
A G E N D A
6:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: Fox Creek, LLC (Barth) Santa Clara County APN: 575-11-020
Agency Negotiator: Allen Ishibashi, Senior Real Property Agent
Negotiating Party: Mr. Florian Barth
Under Negotiation: Terms of real property transactions
2. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – EXISTING LITIGATION. (Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(1))
Name of Case: County of Santa Clara v. Gullicksen, Santa Clara County Superior Court Case No. 1-09-CV141882
3. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – EXISTING LITIGATION. (Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(1))
Name of Case: Midpeninsula Regional Open Space v. Michael Rossetta, et al; Santa Clara County Superior Court Case Number 1-15-CV-289568
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – EXISTING LITIGATION. (Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(1))
Name of Case: Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District v. Mount Umunhum Limited Partnership, et al (McQueen); Santa Clara County Superior Court Case No. 1-15-CV-289553
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
The Board President will invite public comment on items not the agenda. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. If you wish to address the Board, please complete a speaker card and give it to the District Clerk. Individuals are limited to one appearance during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Proclamation for Linda Craig Upon her Retirement
• Introduction of Staff
o Joshua Hugg, Legislative/External Affairs Specialist
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve Claims Report
2. Award of Contract with Harris Design for design, engineering, permitting assistance, and construction administration services for the proposed Alma College Parking Area and new Preserve Entrance at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-16-49)
Staff Contact: Bryan Apple, Planner II and Lisa Bankosh, Planner III, Planning Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to enter into a professional services contract with Harris Design for $210,286, and allocate a 15% contingency, for a total contract amount not-to-exceed $241,829, to complete the design, construction documents, permitting assistance, and construction oversight for the proposed new Preserve entrance, parking area and other associated improvements as part of Phase I Public Access at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve.
3. Authorization to Amend a Contract with Balance Hydrologics, Inc., for Additional Hydrological Studies Conducted for the Water Resources Inventory Project at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-16-31)
Staff Contact: Dale Grogan, Capital Project Manager, Engineering & Construction Department
Matt Baldzikowski, Senior Resource Management Specialist, Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to execute a contract amendment with Balance Hydrologics Inc.’s for a not-to-exceed amount of $22,000 for a total authorized amount of $86,840 for a Water Resources Inventory Study at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve.
4. Contract Amendment with Pavement Engineering Inc. for design, engineering, surveying, and construction administration for the Mount Umunhum Road Improvement Project (R-16-63)
Staff Contact: Zachary Alexander, Capital Project Manager II, Engineering & Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
Amend a contract with Pavement Engineering Inc. for the Mount Umunhum Road Improvement Project in the amount of $46,685, for a total not-to-exceed contract amount of $355,085, for the following additional scope items:
1. Development of County-required encroachment permitting material for the Mount Umunhum Road-Hicks Road intersection improvements;
2. Boundary survey of PG&E easement and private properties;
3. Road improvement at the intersection of the Mount Umunhum flagpole area; and
4. An allowance for construction administration.
The President will invite public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes. Alternately, you may comment to the Board by a written communication, which the Board appreciates.
5. Appointment of Vanessa Buchanan and Steven Johnson as Peace Officers (R-16-29)
Staff Contact: Gordon Baillie, Management Analyst II, Visitor Services Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt Resolutions appointing Vanessa Buchanan and Steven Johnson as Peace Officers.
6. Resolution in Support of Measure AA, the San Francisco Bay Clean Water, Pollution Prevention and Habitat Restoration Program (R-16-61)
Staff Contact: Shelly Lewis, Public Affairs Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution in support of Measure AA, the San Francisco Bay Clean Water, Pollution Prevention and Habitat Restoration Program, which will be on the ballot for the June 7, 2016 statewide direct primary election.
7. Alma College Cultural Landscape Rehabilitation Plan - Tentative Approval (R-16-50)
Staff Contact: Lisa Bankosh, Planner III, Planning Department and Aaron Hébert, Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Tentatively approve the proposed cleanup and selective rehabilitation actions that comprise the Alma College Cultural Landscape Rehabilitation Plan, which will be brought back at a later date for final Board approval as part of the Bear Creek Redwoods Preserve Plan and certification of the Environmental Impact Report.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for factual information; request staff to report back to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
• May 3, 2016 Real Property Committee Meeting
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports