5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT - STUDY SESSION
- Website Structural Upgrade and Design Refresh Project Update (R-20-132)
6:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1)
Title of Employee:
CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS. Government Code Section 54957.6
Agency designated representatives: Board Appointee Evaluation Committee (Directors Holman, Riffle, and Siemens)
2. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1)
Title of Employee: General Manager
7:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda;
however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items
not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDER OF THE DAY
•Introduction of Staff
- Cindy Chu, Risk Management Analyst
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members,
the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent
Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve October 21, 2020 and November 4, 2020 Minutes
2. Approve Claims List
3. Quarter 1 Proposed Budget Amendments to the Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2021 (R-20-140)
Staff Contact: Mike Bower, Budget & Analysis Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution approving the proposed Quarter 1
budget amendments for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021.
4. Award of Contract to EDX Exhibits for the Administrative Office Interpretive Elements
Staff Contact: Leigh Ann Gessner, Public Affairs Specialist II, Public Affairs Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with EDX
Exhibits for $78,000 for interpretive planning and design of new public interpretive elements f
the future Administrative Office at 5050 El Camino Real in Los Altos.
5. Award of Contract for District-Wide Habitat Enhancement through Invasive Species Treatment
Staff Contact: Tom Reyes, IPM Coordinator, Natural Resources General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Hanford ARC of Petaluma,
California in the amount of $275,000 for one year of invasive species management services.
2. Authorize the General Manager to extend the contract for three additional consecutive years,
if the program achieves specific success criteria, at an annual cost of up to $275,000 for a total
not-to-exceed contract amount of $1,100,000 over the four-year term.
6. Award of Contract with Applied Technology & Science for Planning Services, Feasibility
Assessment, and Preparation of Habitat Restoration Plans within the Irish Ridge Area of Purisima
Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-20-134)
Staff Contact: Coty Sifuentes-Winter, Senior Resource Management Specialist, Natural Resources
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to contract with Applied Technology & Science (ATS), to provide
Phase I environmental planning and biological consulting services to determine the feasibility and
maximum net natural resource benefits of restoring a section of Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space
Preserve for a base contract amount of $42,037.
2. If the completion of the Phase I items in the base contract demonstrates high long-term net
natural resources benefits at a reasonable price for the planned restoration work, authorize the
General Manager to amend the contract to complete Phase II habitat restoration plans, for an
additional not-to-exceed amount of $57,230.
3. Authorize a 10% contingency for each Phase of work for a total amount of $9,927 ($4,204 for
Phase I and $5,723 for Phase II) to cover unforeseen complexities or additional biological
survey needs, for a grand total contract amount not-to-exceed $109,194.
7. Application for Grant Funding from the California Department of Parks and Recreation’s
Proposition 68 Per Capita Grant Program (R-20-136)
Staff Contact: Jordan McDaniel, Senior Grants and Procurement Technician, Administrative Services
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a Resolution authorizing the General Manager to subm an
application for Proposition 68 Per Capita Program grant funding from the California Department
Parks and Recreation and to negotiate a grant funding agreement(s) for $1,214,590 in Per Capita
8. Award of Contract to TKO General Engineering & Construction for Demolition of Two
Unoccupied, Fire Damaged Accessory Structures and Repair of a Retaining Wall at 895 La Honda Road,
Woodside, CA 94026 in Thornewood Open Space Preserve (R-20-137)
Staff Contact: Omar Smith, Senior Property Management Specialist, Land and Facilities Services
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Approve the demolition of two fire damaged accessory structures and the replacement of a
retaining wall that sustained extensive fire damage at Thornewood Open Space Preserve and determine
that these actions are categorically exempt under CEQA.
2. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with TKO General Engineering &
Construction, of Woodside, California to complete the structures demolition and retaining wall
repair for a base amount of $49,680.
3. Authorize a 15% contingency of $7,452 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, for a total
not-to-exceed contract amount of $57,132.
9. Award of Contract to Evaluate and Prepare Structural and Engineering Repairs Options to
Repurpose an Existing Structure as Ranger Housing at Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve (R-20-126)
Staff Contact: Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates,
Inc., of Emeryville, California for a base contract amount of $67,500.
2. Authorize a 10% contingency of $6,750 to cover unforeseen conditions for a total contract
amount not-to-exceed $74,250.
BOARD BUSINESS/PUBLIC HEARING
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the
District’s website at www.openspace.org. All written comments submitted in accordance with the
guidance posted on the District’s website will be read into the record.
10. Award of Contract with SWCA Environmental Consultants to provide Environmental Planning,
Design, and Technical Analysis for the Feasibility Studies and Conceptual Designs of the
Purisima-to-the-Sea Trail and Parking Area Project (R-20-129)
Staff Contact: Gretchen Laustsen, Senior Planner, Planning Department General Manager’s
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with SWCA Environmental Consultants of
Half Moon Bay, CA to complete the Feasibility Studies and Conceptual Designs of the
Purisima-to-the-Sea Trail and Parking Area Project for a base amount of
2. Authorize an approximate 10% contingency of $26,000 to cover unforeseen tasks beyond the
current scope for a total not-to-exceed contract amount of $287,000.
11. Radio System Assessment Report and Recommendations (R-20-110)
Staff Contact: Deborah Bazar, Management Analyst II, Visitor Services Department
General Manager’s Recommendations: Direct the General Manager to implement the Radio System upgrade
and improvement recommendations, as presented in the staff report, to improve coverage,
reliability, functionality, and compatibility with local emergency response agencies, as well as
address end-of-life concerns that affect the ongoing maintenance and use of the current system at a
total implementation cost over the next two fiscal years estimated at $2.51M. These upgrades
include improvements and/or replacements of repeaters/equipment on communications towers repeater
sites, new repeater sites, new digital handheld devices, mobile vehicle radios, and base stations.
Estimated equipment costs include savings through cooperative purchasing
agreements and staff will continue to explore options to further reduce costs.
12. First Reading of the Board Compensation Ordinance (R-20-139)
Staff Contact: Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Waive reading and introduce an ordinance increasing Board compensation from $100.00 to
$105.00 per meeting pursuant to Public Resources Code section 5536.
2. Hold a public hearing on the proposed ordinance.
3. Direct the General Manager and General Counsel to prepare the ordinance for second reading
at the December 9, 2020 Board meeting.
• Administrative Office Project – Contractor Pre-Qualification Process
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements
concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board
questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future
meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for
discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in
this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to
the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and
are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for
ublic inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.