Regular meeting at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Government Code section 54953(e) and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Resolution 21-33, and in light of the declared state of emergency, the meeting will not be physically open to the public and all members will be teleconferencing into the meeting via a virtual platform. To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can listen to the meeting and participate using the following methods.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/88284185042 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Meeting ID 882 8418 5042).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614 at least one hour prior to the start of the meeting. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve the April 27, 2022 Board meeting minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Teleconferenced Board Meetings Pursuant to the Brown Act and Assembly Bill 361 (R-22- 59)
Staff Contact: Ana Ruiz, General Manager and Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution affirming findings on the continued need for remote teleconferenced public meetings pursuant to AB 361.
4. Award of a Professional Services Contract to provide Feasibility Studies, prepare an Alternatives Analysis and Preliminary Wildlife Crossing Design and perform associated Environmental and Engineering Services to improve Wildlife Connectivity for Newts across Alma Bridge Road (R-22-61)
Staff Contact: Julie Andersen, Senior Resources Management Specialist Natural Resources Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with AECOM Technical Services, Inc., of Oakland, California to provide feasibility analysis, design, environmental and engineering services for a base amount of $278,228.
2. Authorize an allowance of $86,910 for optional tasks, including cost modeling/monitoring program design and hydrology and hydraulics analysis, that may be deemed necessary and/or provide additional value for the overall project.
3. Authorize a 10% contingency of $27,823 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $392,961.
5. Quarter 3 Proposed Budget Amendments to the Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2022 (R-22-63)
Staff Contact: Rafaela Duran, Budget & Analysis Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution approving the proposed Quarter 3 budget amendments for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2022.
6. Cost-Share Agreement between Peninsula Open Space Trust and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District for Preparation of a Minor Subdivision Application to Support the Transfer of the South Cowell Upland Property as an addition to Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-22-62)
Staff Contact: Michael Williams, Real Property Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to enter into an equally split 50/50 cost-share agreement with Peninsula Open Space Trust for preparing and submitting the land division application to San Mateo County for the South Cowell Ranch Property in an amount not-to-exceed $91,000.
7. Agreement with Woodside Fire Protection District / Fire Safe San Mateo County to Implement Fuel Reduction/Vegetation Management Work on District Lands Utilizing Two State Grants (R-22-60)
Staff Contact: Brandon Stewart, Land & Facilities General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manager to execute an Agreement with Woodside Fire Protection District / Firesafe San Mateo County to utilize State Coastal Conservancy Forest Health and Wildfire Resilience Program funds and the CAL FIRE Early Action Fire Prevention Grant to conduct fuel reduction and ecologically sensitive vegetation management work at Thornewood Open Space Preserve and within multiple preserves fronting the Highway 35 corridor.
BOARD BUSINESS/PUBLIC HEARING
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors.
8. Public Hearing on the Proposed Fiscal Year 2022-23 Budget and Three-Year Capital Improvement and Action Plan (R-22-58)
Staff Contact: Stefan Jaskulak, Chief Financial Officer and Director of Administrative Services
General Manager’s Recommendation: 1. Hold a public hearing to review the Proposed Fiscal Year 2022-23 (FY23) Budget and three year (Fiscal Year 2022-23 to 2024-25) Capital Improvement and Action Plan, as recommended by the Action Plan and Budget Committee, in preparation for adoption of the FY23 Budget and Action Plan at the June 8, 2022 regular meeting of the Board of Directors. 2. Direct either: a. The General Manager to bring the proposed FY23 Budget and Action Plan back for adoption at the June 8, 2022 regular meeting of the Board of Directors, or b. The Action Plan and Budget Committee to consider proposed changes to the FY23 Budget and Action Plan prior to the General Manager bringing the item back to the Board of Directors for adoption at the June 8, 2022 regular meeting.
9. Controller’s Report on the Proposed Fiscal Year 2022-23 Budget (R-22-64)
Staff Contact: Michael L. Foster, Controller
Controller’s Recommendation: Accept the Controller’s Report on the Fiscal Year 2022-23 Budget.
10. Adopt a Resolution Designating June 19, or Juneteenth, as a paid holiday for all Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Staff (R-22-65)
Staff Contact: Candice Basnight, Human Resources Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution to designate June 19 as a paid holiday for Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District staff.
• Total Visitation Estimation 2020 & 2021
• Highway 17 Crossings Design Aesthetics
• Norton Deck demolition in Russian Ridge Open Space Preserve due to deteriorating conditions
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this meeting, please contact the District Clerk at (650) 691-1200. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
Written materials relating to an item on this Agenda that are considered to be a public record and are distributed to Board members less than 72 hours prior to the meeting, will be available for public inspection at the District’s Administrative Office located at 330 Distel Circle, Los Altos, California 94022.