The Midpen is committed to making all practicable efforts to make our facilities, programs, services, information, employment, and meaningful work opportunities accessible and usable by all people.
The ADA Barrier Removal project was created to systematically remove accessibility barriers at Midpen facilities and preserves. Projects include modernization and ADA upgrades to restrooms, accessible parking and pathways, easy access trails, signage, facilities, and other amenities. We track and report annual accomplishments of completed projects and tasks to the board of directors as part of the annual ADA Transition Plan implementation.
In May 2019, the board of directors approved our ADA Self-Evaluation and Transition Plan Update. This project identified programmatic and physical barriers limiting accessibility at Midpen. The ADA Plan update provides recommendations for removing physical barriers based on accessibility requirements mandated by the ADA and State of California access codes, and will provide the basis for prioritizing, budgeting, implementing, and monitoring the removal of barriers.The final plan is available in the documents section below.
Goals and Objectives
The Transition Plan identified 1,075 ADA barriers at Midpen facilities. We have developed a 15-year plan to remove existing barriers based on the prioritization criteria below,:
- Geographic distribution
- Unique experiences and environments
- Usage levels
- Public feedback and requests
- Project readiness
- Plan consistency
- Primary access
- Added 0.6-miles of new easy-access trail and resurfaced the existing 1.2-mile easy-access levee trail at Ravenswood Open Space Preserve.
- Modified nearly 90% of preserve entrance stiles to accommodate wheelchairs
- Replaced single-stall restrooms with double-stall ADA-compliant restrooms, ADA-accessible parking stalls and accessible routes at Russian Ridge, Monte Bello, and Windy Hill open space preserves.
- Adjusted restroom doors throughout preserves for improved accessibility.
- Implemented a barrier removal tracking system