Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve is one of Midpen’s most beloved preserves. With a large network of trails and wonderful opportunities to explore redwood forests and connect with nature, parking demand often exceeds space during peak visitation hours, holidays and weekends.
The Purisima Creek Redwoods Preserve Multimodal Access Study is beginning in the summer of 2021. The goals of the project are to:
- Evaluate existing preserve parking, access and visitation.
- Identify strategies to address parking and traffic issues, manage visitation and increase greener modes of transit.
- Develop an implementation plan for recommended strategies.
The results and recommendations that come out of this study will also help inform other projects happening concurrently in Purisima Creek Redwoods Preserve including the Purisima-to-the-Sea Trail and Parking Area Project and the Highway 35 Multiuse Trail Crossing and Parking Lot Expansion Feasibility Study which is expxloring the possibility of extending and connecting the Bay Area Ridge Trail at this preserve.
This study will assess what transportation demand management strategies from the now completed Rancho San Antonio Multimodal Access Study could be appropriate for Purisima Creek Redwoods at a preserve-wide level, including at the North Ridge, Redwood Trail and Higgins Canyon parking areas.
This study will also look for additional solutions that will respond to Purisima Creek Redwood’s unique location, environment, visitation characteristics and access conditions.
As the study gets underway we will share findings, information and public input opportunities on this project webpage. The project scope of work includes:
- Surveying visitors at the three existing parking areas during peak visitation.
- Collecting data on visitors per car, type of visitor and traffic and circulation patterns.
- Assessing existing trailheads and the potential Purisima-to-the-Sea Trail parking area.
- Engaging public stakeholders.
- Supporting diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Developing an implementable action plan with clear next steps.
|June 23, 2021||Public meeting: Midpen board of directors considers award of contract for the Purisima Creek Redwoods Multimodal Access Study.|
|Summer 2021 - Summer 2022||Conduct study and engage with community stakeholders.|
|Summer 2022||Public meeting: Draft report to Midpen Planning & Natural Resources Committee.|
|Fall 2022 - Winter 2023||Finalize report and bring to Midpen Board of Directors for approval (public meeting TBD).|
Sign-up here for our Purisima Creek Redwoods Preserve interested parties list to stay informed via email about this and other Midpen projects.
Staff contact: Tina Hugg, Senior Planner at email@example.com or phone (650) 691-1200
Board of Directors Report (posting online by 5 p.m. June 18, 2021)
June 23, 2021