Twenty-one open space preserves are open to horseback riding. The District’s trails provide the long distance opportunities for riding that are valued by equestrians, especially when trails allow connections between adjacent preserves or other public lands, such as the Bay Area Ridge Trail.
Favorite Preserves for Horseback Riding
- Long Ridge, Monte Bello, Russian Ridge, Saratoga Gap, and Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserves. These South Skyline Area preserves are adjacent to one another and provide corridors for equestrians with access to miles and miles of multi-use trails. Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve has an equestrian parking lot to accommodate rigs of all sizes. From these preserves, equestrians can ride through a variety of ecosystems, including mixed evergreen forests, oak woodlands, chaparral, and grasslands. Great views to the coast are prevalent along the ridges.
- Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. Towering redwoods, ferns, and creeks will provide a cool respite for afternoon riders that choose to explore this preserve on horseback. This area provides a look at the unique history of logging on the midpeninsula – along Purisima Creek Trail riders may catch a glimpse of areas that were once the site of sawmills. Twenty-one miles of trails await you.
- Windy Hill Open Space Preserve features 13 miles of trails, including forested terrain, creek crossings, open grasslands, and beautiful views of San Francisco Bay and the midpeninsula.
- La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve features 6 miles of trail through the rolling grassland ridges of a working cattle ranch. A no-fee permit is required for trailer parking at the Event Center.
These other preserves also allow equestrian access:
- Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve
- Coal Creek Open Space Preserve
- El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve
- El Sereno Open Space Preserve
- Foothills Open Space Preserve
- Fremont Older Open Space Preserve
- Los Trancos Open Space Preserve
- Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve
- Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve
- Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
- St. Joseph's Hill Open Space Preserve
- Teague Hill Open Space Preserve
- Thornewood Open Space Preserve